[KS] Re: Ch'oe Sunghui

Mickey Hong hong at HUMnet.UCLA.EDU
Fri Mar 31 00:53:12 EST 2000

Although the query is addressed to Walter...

Ch'oe SH not only "visited" the US, she toured its major cities i.e. LA,
SF,
Chicago, NY.

Few interesting notes:

*There was a protest against her 1st scheduled performance in NY b/c of
anti-Japanese sentiments.
*Some of the US news reviews identify her as Japanese.
*US Military Intelligence knew she was Korean but thought she was an
international spy.

Her political role in Japanese colonialism, not to mention post-Korean
War NK,
is at once a terribly complex & intriguing subject on which I'm writing
book.

-Mickey Hong