[KS] Re: Korean Fiction

Yuh Ji-Yeon j-yuh at nwu.edu
Thu Mar 2 11:58:03 EST 2000

--=====================_1491368==_.ALT

the title of that documentary is "camp arirang" and this is distributed by
NAATA. their web site is http://www.naatanet.org/

another documentary on camptown women is "women outside," and is
distributed by third world newsreel in new york, http://www.twn.org/

women outside has received more media exposure . it also has more upclose
and personal stuff on the women themselves, including some extensive
interviews; and it also links camptown women to military brides. camp
arirang is focused more on kim yonja, who leads the viewer through the
camptowns.

there are also lots of short stories that include portrayals of camptown
women; the most well-known is probably "silver stallion" by ahn jung ho.
bruce fulton wrote an article about such portrayals in modern korean
fiction, but i don't have the cite, having seen only a draft version
several years ago.

best,
ji-yeon

At 05:13 PM 3/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
>   Ms. An was initially asked by a women's org. to write  a commemorative
> poem for Yun Ku^mi who was brutally killed by a US solider in 1992, then
> began to investigate the condition and the lives of women in Tongduch'o^n
> area.  Ppaet-bol is fictionalized account of the lives of several women
> she came to know, one of whom is Kim Yo^n-ja, who is also in the
> documentary by Grace Kim in San Fran. area. (I can't recall the name of
> the documentary.)  The author and Ms. Kim Yon-ja had toured several US
> cities in 1994 or 1995.
>
>Namhee Lee
>

>>hi jina,
>>
>>ahn something or other wrote a two-volume novel titled Bbaet-bul about
>>camptown women. can't recall her full name and her book is packed away,
>>i'm afraid, since they are re-doing my office. there is all Go-bbi,
>>another two-volume novel written much earlier, by jung yoon mo, that
>>deals with two sisters involved in varying degrees in camptown life.
>>
>>there are also a number of third-rate novels, melodramas, that deal with
>>camptown women and are part of the genre of "woman has a hard life,
>>overcomes, meets a good man, and lives happily ever after."
>>
>>there are very few korean feminist scholars in korea who address this
>>issue. you should contact sae-oom-tuh, an activist organization that has
>>put out some reports about camptowns and the lives of the women. i don't
>>have their contact info handy, but i can find it for you at home.
>>
>>in the united states, katherine moon has done the most extensive research
>>on camptown women. her book, sex among allies, is readily available.
>>
>>if you need any further assistance, feel free to contact me again. my own
>>research is related to camptowns, altho it does not focus on them.
>>
>>best,
>>ji-yeon yuh
>>
>>At 06:15 PM 2/29/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>>

>>>I was wondering if you knew of any titles and authors of Korean FICTION
>>>(in Korean as well as translated into English)
>>>written by Korean women writers who deal with the subject of U.S. military
>>>base in South Korea and military base prostitution.  For example, Kang
>>>Sok-kyung's "Days and Dreams" in the WAYFARER.
>>>
>>>Do you also know of any Korean feminist scholars based in Korea who
>>>address this issue (military prostitution in Korean)
>>>
>>>Thank you for your assistance.
>>>
>>>Jina Kim
>>>

>>_____________________________________________________________
>>Yuh Ji-Yeon                     History Department, Northwestern University
>>j-yuh at nwu.edu           Harris 202, 1881 Sheridan Road
>>1-847-467-6538          Evanston, IL 60208  U.S.A.

Yuh Ji-Yeon                     History Department, Northwestern University
j-yuh at nwu.edu           Harris 202, 1881 Sheridan Road
1-847-467-6538          Evanston, IL 60208  U.S.A.

--=====================_1491368==_.ALT

and  this is distributed by NAATA. their web site is
</a>another documentary on camptown women is "women outside,"
and is distributed by third world newsreel in new york,
women outside has received more media exposure . it also has more upclose
and personal stuff on the women themselves, including some extensive
interviews; and it also links camptown women to military brides. camp
arirang is focused more on kim yonja, who leads the viewer through the
camptowns.<br>
there are also lots of short stories that include portrayals of camptown
women; the most well-known is probably "silver stallion" by ahn
jung ho. bruce fulton wrote an article about such portrayals in modern
korean fiction, but i don't have the cite, having seen only a draft
version several years ago.<br>
best,<br>
ji-yeon<br>
At 05:13 PM 3/1/2000 -0500, you wrote:<br>
Il-sun, and was published in 1995 by Kong'gan midio^. </blockquote>
Ms. An was initially asked by a women's org. to write  a
commemorative poem for Yun Ku^mi who was brutally killed by a US solider
in 1992, then began to investigate the condition and the lives of women
in Tongduch'o^n area.  Ppaet-bol is fictionalized account of the
lives of several women she came to know, one of whom is Kim Yo^n-ja, who
is also in the documentary by Grace Kim in San Fran. area. (I can't
recall the name of the documentary.)  The author and Ms. Kim Yon-ja
had toured several US cities in 1994 or 1995. <br>
Namhee Lee <br>
ahn something or other wrote a two-volume novel titled Bbaet-bul about
camptown women. can't recall her full name and her book is packed away,
i'm afraid, since they are re-doing my office. there is all Go-bbi,
another two-volume novel written much earlier, by jung yoon mo, that
deals with two sisters involved in varying degrees in camptown life.
there are also a number of third-rate novels, melodramas, that deal with
camptown women and are part of the genre of "woman has a hard life,
overcomes, meets a good man, and lives happily ever after." <br>
there are very few korean feminist scholars in korea who address this
issue. you should contact sae-oom-tuh, an activist organization that has
put out some reports about camptowns and the lives of the women. i don't
have their contact info handy, but i can find it for you at home. <br>
in the united states, katherine moon has done the most extensive research
on camptown women. her book, sex among allies, is readily available.
if you need any further assistance, feel free to contact me again. my own
research is related to camptowns, altho it does not focus on them. <br>
best, <br>
ji-yeon yuh <br>
At 06:15 PM 2/29/2000 -0800, you wrote: <br>
authors of Korean FICTION (in Korean as well as translated into English)
written by Korean women writers who deal with the subject of U.S.
military <br>
base in South Korea and military base prostitution.  For example,
Kang <br>
Sok-kyung's "Days and Dreams" in the WAYFARER. <br>
Do you also know of any Korean feminist scholars based in Korea who
address this issue (military prostitution in Korean) <br>
Thank you for your assistance. <br>
Jina Kim <br>
_____________________________________________________________ <br>
Yuh
Ji-Yeon<x-tab>     </x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab>History
Department, Northwestern University <br>
j-yuh at nwu.edu<x-tab>   </x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab>Harris
202, 1881 Sheridan Road <br>
1-847-467-6538<x-tab>  </x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab>Evanston,
IL 60208  U.S.A. </blockquote></blockquote></x-html>
Ji-Yeon<x-tab>     </x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab><x-tab>        </x-tab>History
Department, Northwestern University</div>
202, 1881 Sheridan Road</div>
IL 60208  U.S.A.</div>