[KS] Re: your mail

Kirk Larsen kwlarsen at fas.harvard.edu
Mon May 29 14:38:39 EDT 2000

May 29, 2000

Dear Ms. Kim,

There is a sizable body of literature that may prove useful to your
research. It may help if you are a bit more specific as to exactly what
kind of materials you are looking for.

If you are looking for travelogues/reminiscences , there are several, of
which Isabella Bird Bishop's Korea and Her Neighbors is perhaps the best
known. Others include:

Carles, William Richard. Life in Corea. London and New York: Macmillan and
co., 1888.

Sands, William Franklin. Undiplomatic Memories: The Far East, 1896-1904.
London: John Hamilton, 1904.

Weale, B.L. Putnam. The Re-Shaping of the Far East. London: Macmillan and
Co., 1905.

Hamilton, Angus. Korea. London: William Heinemann, 1904.

Morrison, James G. "Some notes of a trip to Corea, in July and August,
1883." Journal of the North-China Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society New
Series XVIII (1883).

Bonar, H.A.C. "Notes on the capital of Korea." Transactions of the Asiatic
Society of Japan XI (1883).

Hall, J.C. "A visit to west coast and capital of Korea." Transactions of
the Asiatic Society of Japan XI (1883).

Swartout, Robert R., Jr. "Journey to old Korea: The 1886 diary of Gertrude
Hall Denny." Transactions of The Royal Asiatic Society, Korea Branch 61
(1986): 35-43.

Chaille-Long, Charles. My Life in Four Continents. London: Hutchinsonand
Company, 1912.

Underwood, Lillias Horton. Fifteen Years among the Top-knots: Or, Life in
Korea. Boston and New York: American Tract Society, 1904.

Gilmore, George W. Corea of Today. London and New York: T. Nelson and
Sons, 1894.

Gilmore, George William. Korea from Its Capital: With a Chapter on
Missions. Philadelphia: Presbyterian Board of Publication and
Sabbath-School Work, 1892.

to name a few.

If you are looking for articles/monographs that recount the lives and
experiences of westerners in late-Choson Korea, you might start with:

Harrington, Fred Harvey. God, Mammon and the Japanese: Dr. Horace N. Allen
and Korean-American Relations, 1884-1905. Madison: University of Wisconsin
Press, 1966.

Swartout, Robert R. Mandarins, Gunboats, and Power Politics: Owen
Nickerson Denny and the International Rivalries in Korea, Asian studies at
Hawaii no. 25. Honolulu: Asian Studies Program, 1980.

Cook, Harold F. Pioneer American Businessman in Korea: The Life and Times
of Walter Davis Townsend, Monograph series / Royal Asiatic Society, Korea
Branch 5. Seoul: Published for Royal Asiatic Society, 1981.

Lee, Yur-bok. West goes East: Paul Georg von Mollendorff and Great Power
Imperialism in Late Yi Korea. Honolulu: University of Hawaii, 1988.

Hoare, James. Embassies in the East : the story of the British embassies
in Japan, China, and Korea from 1859 to the present. Richmond, Surrey :
Curzon Press, 1999.

Griffis, William Elliot. A Modern Pioneer in Korea: The Life Story of
Henry G. Appenzeller, Saryo ch'ongso; 7-chip. Soul: Han'guk Kidokkyosa
Yon'guhoe, 1984.

Davies, Daniel M. Henry Gerhard Appenzeller: Pioneer Missionary and
Reformer in Korea.

Underwood, Lillias H. Underwood of Korea: Being an Intimate Record of the
Life and Work of the Rev. H. G. Underwood, D.D., LL.D., for Thirty-one
Years a Missionary of the Presbyterian Board in Korea. New York: Fleming
H. Revell, 1918.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. Missionary and other expatriate
publications such as the Korean Repository, the Korea Review, the Korea
Mission Field etc. also contain a wealth of information about the lives
and activities of foreigners in Korea.

Hope this helps,

Kirk Larsen