[KS] Moderated korean-studies list

KS Discussion Lists moderators ksopen at iic.edu
Thu Nov 9 02:16:12 EST 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list
post only messages with substantial Korean studies content or with
content that will be of wide interest within the discipline. All
postings will be permanently stored online. While the korean-studies
discussion list is similar to an academic seminar, open only to those
with a serious academic commitment to Korean studies, its Mailing
List Archives as well as the Korean Studies Review (an electronic
review journal of works pertaining to Korean studies) are available
to all. Postings from this forum may be quoted but, with the
exception of job and conference announcements,  are not to be
reprinted in full
elsewhere without the express permission of the author.  In any case,
we ask that proper credit be given to the author and to the
korean-studies list, and that the date of posting be given.

The primary purpose of korean-studies is to enable Korea scholars to
communicate current research and teaching interests; to discuss new
articles, books, papers, approaches, methods and tools of analysis;
to test new ideas and share comments and tips on teaching. Relevant
academic job announcements, and fellowship announcements may also be
posted. Organizers of conferences and symposia in Asian Studies are
encouraged to post calls for papers and program contents. Similarly,
we encourage graduate students to post abstracts of their doctoral
dissertations. Reports on new archival or bibliographic sources, new
software, datasets or CD-ROMs are also welcome.

We emphasize that korean-studies is a moderated list. Posts are to be
solid, thoughtful, and to the point. The list moderators will screen
all incoming messages to eliminate "spam" and other inappropriate
commercial solicitations, private email, messages that do not fit
adequately into scholarly debate, and attachments of any kind.
Chitchat is to be kept to a minimum, as is disproportionate quotation
of other messages. We also discourage discussion so heated that it
may be construed as personal, and we will not publish messages that
pursue debate in an overly aggressive fashion or contain ad hominem
attacks. Although we realize that this is a controversial position,
we maintain it because we believe that a professional tone is
conducive to academic inquiry--as well as to the comfort of the
subscribers of the moderated list. The list moderators will not
censor ideas that are presented, but we will do our utmost to ensure
that clearly irrelevant, unprofessional and impolite materials do not
appear on the list.

We also reserve the right to make minor editorial changes (e.g.
spelling corrections) as needed.  If the message is accepted but more
substantial editing is required, the message will be returned to the
author with changes for approval or with a request for rewriting.
Please note that while the list moderators' decision about messages
is final and list moderation policy will not be discussed on the list
itself, the moderators are happy to respond to concerns privately.
Joining the moderated korean-studies list entails agreement with the
principles outlined above.

Yours,

Robert C. Provine
Stephen Epstein