[KS] Re: y^onjwaje

Namhee Lee namhee at chwe.net
Mon Nov 20 15:09:31 EST 2000

Dear list members,

I'm wondering if anyone out there could help me with the term "y^onjwaje."
This term denotes a set of restrictive measures applied, in post-1945 South
Korea, to anyone who was considered "communists" or "pro-communists" and
their family members.  For example, a son of a guerilla who had gone over
to North Korea in 1950 would not have been permitted to travel abroad under
this measure.  As far as I know, this measure had been in operation until
1980.   I have not been able to find a source that would give me a legal
definition of this term, though.  Would anyone know the full Korean name of
this term, when this measure took effect, and anything else related to this
term?

Thanks very much in advance,

Namhee Lee