[KS] Re: Kim and Nobel

youkhyun Sung youkhyun at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 15 20:36:00 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Jina,

I understand that some of the people in Korea are very disgusted simply
because this year's awardee of the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize is the
one
they have hated for so long.

Well, the prize could have gone to Kim Jong-il unless he did not kill
innocent people in his terrorist act(s) against the South Korean
civilians.
He has also been negligent in protecting the lives of his people
suffering
from famine.

I am not sure whether you understand the general sentiment of the Korean
people in the past. Have you ever heard about the Korean National
Security
Law that is as overbroad as the Bible? It still exists. Under that
catch-all
law, a lot of people have been tortured and murdered. It takes courage
to do
something that thaws the ice between North and South. Kim Dae Jung has
endeavored to get closer to North Korea against the entrenched
right-wing
backlash in Korea. I don't care whether it is an ingenious strategy or
not.
What matters is whether it's good for the country or not.

Let me ask this question about your comment on his efforts to bring
peace to
the Korean Penisula. What esle does he have to do other than condoning
those
dictators who tortured him and his bretherens? He was sentenced to death
for
no reasonable reason. The last words he left in the court that decided
his
death sentence were not tinted with hatred but forgiveness. What do you
expect from a person like him? Does he have to hug and kiss those
dictators?

A lot of people outside Kyungsang province are celebrating the fact that
his
decades of efforts for peace in the Penisula was recognized by the
world.
What I don't understand is why the people in Kyungsang Province hate him
so
much whilst he has not done anything injurious to them.

He is still making his best efforts to cure this regional problem as far
as
I know. Hatred does not cure at all. I think the people who decided to
give
Mr. Kim the Nobel Peace Prize was not that ignorant. Many cheers to the
people who are endeavoring to bring peace to the world!

Youkhyun Sung