[KS] Re: Translation and Dialect

Andrew P. Killick akillick at mailer.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 12 14:43:09 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Carlon-

The problem of rendering dialect is a perennial one for translators. I
think you're right to avoid using an English regional dialect as an
equivalent for a Korean one - it is bound to carry connotations that are
inappropriate.  Archaisms might work, or just some verbal tic that
doesn't correspond to any widely-known dialect. In our forthcoming
translation of Lee Ho-Chul's [his preferred romanization] "Southerners,
Northerners," my wife and I were lucky in that the narrator often
comments on the dialect of the character speaking, making it unnecessary
to use a non-standard form of English in our translation of that
character's speech. If yours doesn't, I think it's permissible to
interpolate discrete comments on the speaker's dialect in a few
strategic places. Footnotes are another possibility, but I try to keep
these to a minimum. Hope this helps.

Andrew Killick
Florida State University