[KS] Translation and Dialect

Carlon Haas king_of_seoul at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 22:13:59 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear translators on this list,

I have experience translating poems from Korean into
English.  However, my most recent project is my first
attempt to translate a Korean novel into English.
This poses some problems that do not come up when
translating poetry.  So, I am looking for advice from
those more experienced novel/short story translators
on the list.  My main concern now is in the
translation of dialect.  In this particular novel
about a family, the head of the family speaks in North
Korean dialect.  Personally, I do not wish to try to
simply borrow an English regional dialect to
correspond with his Northen dialect.  However, the
rest of the characters do not use this dialect.  So, I
feel that I SHOULD give the character a distinct
voice.  I thought of borrowing old idiomatic
expressions, since the character is quite old.  Does
anyone on the list have any advice on this?  I have
some other concerns, but will save them for a later time.

=====
Carlon Haas

http://www.geocities.com/king_of_seoul