[KS] Re: On the Korean university system

or5a007 at uni-hamburg.de or5a007 at uni-hamburg.de
Mon Oct 23 09:12:39 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Dr. Seliger,
just two remarks.

1. I would put greater stress on the interconnection of what you
called 'academic clans' and the - traditional - ranking of universities.
Also there seems to be a re-thinking with the shift of emphasis
from liberal arts to science, technology an economic subjects, and
also after reports have hit the press, that the percentage of
graduates who found a job seems to indicate that the traditional
ranking does not necessarily reflect the acceptance in the job
market.

2. I would also reflect on the different role in society. Since the
Korean education system only recently started to offer alternative
ways to acquire job eligability, whereas in Germany traditionally we
have many "Lehre (on the job training)", the German university puts
greater stress on more academic and abstract education, and the
Korean universities also prepare more directly for the job market (or
at least that is their role...). Because of that, many subjects which
in Germany are not university subjects are to be found in Korean
universities.

Good luck, Werner Sasse

  Prof.Dr. Werner Sasse
  Korean Studies Section