[KS] Re: To the Observer of Korean Politics

Tae-Gyun Park tgpark at sias.snu.ac.kr
Wed Oct 25 21:21:54 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear lsits,

Although I did not participate at the discussion and did not read all of
assertions at the beginning, I would like to add something to explain Korean
economic growth.

What I want to add is the role of bureaucrats and the formation of social
discourse in the 1950s. There were many economic bureaucrats who went to study
abroad since the late 1940s. Of course, they had a educational background in
the colonial period. But the experiences in the U.S.(universities and the
institutions) and the imports of the western economic development ideas are
more important than those in the colonial period.

They could join with the government that had to carry out economic plan for
the sake of rationalization of its illegal coup and with the U.S. that attempt
new policies toward the Third World in the Kennedy administration in the early
1960s.

Besides, the foreign policy in the Kennedy Administration was quite different
from the Eisenhower. That's another key point.

My dissertation is related to these issues, but it's written in Korean.

Tae-Gyun Park.
Visiting Professor, The School of International and Area Studies
Seoul National University