[KS] Re: To the Observer of Korean Politics

Bryan R Ross bross at hawaii.edu
Thu Oct 26 18:42:53 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Dennis Hart wrote:

> that is, it seems that your hypothesis on confucianism does NOT
> explain the 1950's. nor does it explain how many observers at the
> time said that confucianism's "traditional beliefs" actually
> slowed/inhibited democratization.
>
> further, dispite "confucianism" the syngman rhee regime was
> notoriously corrupt. so, unless you argue that south korea was
> somehow "less confucian" in the 1950s than the 1960s, i am not
> sure hwo well your argument holds up.

I believe it needs to be considered that the thesis of  Confucianism and
East-Asain economic growth and Max Weber's thesis on Protestantism and
capitalism are "Post Hoc, Ergo Procter Hoc"  arguments that fail to
identify the true causes of capitalist economic growth.

Bryan Ross
University of Hawaii