[KS] Re: homosexuality thread and list participation

goodwins goodwins at txcyber.com
Wed Oct 18 17:10:38 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Young Rae Oum wrote:

(snip)

> I am ... troubled by the underlying assumption that non-gays cannot quite
> understand "gay languages"...

I don't mean to put too fine a point on it --or to sound the least bit
argumentative-- but I think you may have again mistaken what was said.
My
posting simply said this: "I imagine readers with direct and/or indirect
knowledge of contemporary gay lifestyles quickly recognized Mr. Body's
intended meaning in using the terms "boys" and "available"."

I understand the term "and/or" to mean one OR the other OR both; i.e.,
connote "inclusiveness" (and not its opposite). My point was that
understanding might possibly be a matter of having knowledge of a thing
--not being a certain kind of person. I think you have misread me on
that.
(Also I'm not gay and I never have been. Yet I have had many gay friends
and
so I have some --very limited-- knowledge of, as you say, "gay
languages".)

> Also, both missed my point on the racialized sexual exploitation ... if
> these white males who traveled to Korea and found Korean boys so available
> were not pedophiles ... they are still part of the exploitative sex
> tourism; exploitation of "the south"/ third world people by the first
> world white males.

Woah! I think you may be making assumptions about Mr. Body that you may
not
have adequate evidence to make. Certainly there seems to be nothing to
suggest that Mr. Body was a "sex tourist" and Mr. Harrison, apparently,
only
went to Korea twice as musical conductor in the 1960s (hardly the sort
of
thing that would suggest "racialized sexual exploitation").

Best,

Mike Goodwin
(College Station, TX)