[KS] Re: homosexuality thread and list participation

Kevin P. Parks Adv97 Kevin.P.Parks.Adv97 at Alum.Dartmouth.ORG
Thu Oct 19 10:36:20 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

I don't often like to pipe in with "me too" type posts, but since my
post about
Lou Harrison seems to have triggered much of this chain reaction i feel
compelled to reply as i am afraid that my silence will be misread.
Additionally,
i understand (a little too deeply perhaps) what it is like on this list
to be
dangling with no indication as to how my comments are received. I too
was
confused by the quote by Mr Jack Body and very much understand why Young
Rae Oum
would also be disturbed by it. I must admit that i was bothered as well
when i
first read it moments ago. It does seem offensive if read literally,
without the
sub-culture slang filter switched to on. It would appear that it
embodies a
double standard.

heterosexual male predatory behavior = bad,  however

homosexual male predatory behavior = permissible good old fashioned
hedonistic
fun.

Having said that, i do think that the follow up explanation deserves the
benefit
of the doubt, particular since the meaning of the message taken so
literally
would be something so horrible that no one would dare say such an thing
openly
to list. Additionally, i know little about Mr. Body and his work, so i
have no
context to help me judge. I can't claim to know very much based on one
quote, so
i am willing to accept that person at their word.

In closing, having been an on and off reader of the list almost from the
very
beginning, i have to say that even with the recent silliness, this list
is
mostly filled with pretty good folks. I think that I would be much more
reserved
in my criticisms of the list, taking into account all that has occurred
here
over the years. Join the kexpat list or monitor news feeds if you want
to stare
into the abyss.

I am glad that Young Rae Oum's comments were posted since some of her
feelings
reverberated for me, but i am not on-board with the characterization of
the list
as a whole.

For the record i too, am not too keen on the moderation of the list and
i hoped
that we could try to restrain ourselves (suppress some of the urge to
send
frivolous mail, as i am occasionally guilty of) and also i like Richard
Miller's
suggestion of starting more meaningful threads. But please, no more
romanization
bunk!

And finally (for real this time), while i strongly dislike the idea of
being
moderated, i appreciate the work that the moderator (who, while
invisible, is
not doubt a person too) is putting in to try to keep this list going.
Rather
than curse and ridicule (this is a general point, not at all in response
to the
Young Rae Oum's possible beef with the moderator) the moderator one
could leave
the list. If i found the moderation of the list to be oppressive or
silencing, i
might due just that.

everything everbest,

kevin parks