[KS] Re: Transcription of Korean Currency

k u s h i b o jdh95 at hitel.net
Fri Oct 27 11:23:40 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Rudiger Frank wrote:
> even though I have read the new romanization scheme of the MOCT as of July
> 2000, I could not find the answer to my question and so refer to your
> expertise:
>
> How is the Korean currency to be transcribed according to the new
> provisions? Would it be "Weon" or was "Won" chosen as one of the exemptions
> from the rule?

The MoCT rules that I saw stated that words with a generally-accepted
spelling will continue to be spelled that way (e.g., "kimchi" would not
become "gimchi"). I would think that the "won" would be one of those words.

This obviously would beg the question: what constitutes general acceptance?
The American Heritage Dictionary lists Cheju, Chongjin (NK), Chonju, Hungnam
(NK), Inchon, Kwangju, Pusan, Sinuiju, Taejon, Taegu, and Wonsan, all of
which would have new spellings according to MoCT, going against the general
acceptance principle.

I would submit that, if your question is regarding some academic paper, that
you forgo the MoCT system altogether. After Dr Lew Young-ick of Yonsei
University spent a good portion of a recent lecture criticizing the "new"
system, I informally talked to a few professors who stated they would
continue to use McCune-Reischauer as they always had, because (a) they are
confident the Korean government will eventually see the folly here, and (b)
the MoCT does not control world academia related to Korea.

K U S H I B O