[KS] Re: Transcription of Korean Currency

Morgan Clippinger clippim at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 31 09:59:04 EST 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Kushibo:

In discussing "general acceptance," you mention the spellings for Korean
cities used by the American Heritage Dictionary.

I believe one reason the American Heritage dictionary uses those spellings
is because they are based, more or less, on the official US Government
spellings as prescribed by the Board on Geographic Names (BGN).  (Although
BGN uses the Mc-Cune-Reischauer system pretty much in its original form,
most US Government agencies omit the diacritical marks.)

BGN is really the final arbiter in matters of spelling of geographic names,
not just for Korean but for most if not all of the languages of the world.
According to the US Geological Survey website, foreign names are processed
by the Foreign Names Committee of the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, which
is supported by an Executive Secretary and staff furnished by the National
Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA), U.S. Department of Defense.   Placenames
in countries that do not use the Roman alphabet are romanized according to
systems approved by the Board. The website notes that the Board "cooperates
wherever possible with foreign governments to standardize foreign names for
official U.S. purposes."

Although US government agencies use the M-R spellings for Korean placenames
in their official documents without the diacritical marks, the official US
Defense Department maps use the original M-R system with the breve and
apostrophe.  The two US government gazetteers for North Korea and South
Korea list close to 60,000 names of cities, towns, villages, and
geographical features, plus their map coordinates.  I would think that to
introduce any new system to replace M-R would inevitably involve the
revision of the gazetteers of Korea and hundreds of official US maps, take
years to plan and implement, and cost millions of dollars to accomplish.  It
would also produce a great deal of confusion for the many US government
agencies that deal with Korean issues—-not to mention other governments that
use US government maps and gazetteers.  I would be much surprised if the new
romanization system were to be warmly embraced outside of MoTC.

Regards,

Morgan E. Clippinger
Ashburn, VA