[KS] alternate circumflex methods

k u s h i b o jdh95 at hitel.net
Sun Oct 8 20:12:13 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Stephen Epstein wrote:
> Btw, it's come to my attention that many users are unable to read the
> circumflexed o's and u's that I send out, so I think I'll be using
> capital letters instead in romanization from now on for KSR.  Ugly, but
> I don't see much choice--unless I make the leap to the new gov't
> transcription which hasn't exactly been something I've been planning
> on.  Life is long, however, and many things are possible....

My former boss at Sogang University, John Harvey, in the days before
most
computers could read the ô and the û on their computers, introduced
me to a
very simple solution to that problem. He would simply put the circumflex
right before the vowel for which it was intended.

For example, the actor/comedian who came out of the closet, would have
his
name written as Hong S^okch^on, if you can't read Hong Sôkchôn on
your
computer. Of course these circumflexes (or would they be circumflices?)
are
upside down versions of the diacritics prescribed by McCune-Reischauer,
but
I'm sure even the M-R purists would agree that these are both clearer
and
more preferable to government's new old plan.

K U S H I B O