[KS] Re: Korean Constitution

Ruediger Frank ruediger.frank at rz.hu-berlin.de
Tue Oct 31 03:12:35 EST 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

I hope I am not wrong, but as far as I know the history of the current
Korean Constitution somehow starts with the Kabo reforms and later, the
declaration of independence, the 3-1-Undong and the Imsi Jeongbu
(Provisional Government). Dr. Roland Wein has written a very extensive
review of those versions of the Korean Constitution. He translates and
analyzes a total of six Imsi Heonbeop (Provisional Constitutions), the
first one dating September 1919, in his PhD Dissertation:

"The Role of the Provisional Government of the RoK (1919-1945) in the
Korean Independence Movement" (Original in German, translation of the title
mine).

The dissertation was written at Humboldt-University Berlin in 1993 and
should be available as a manuscript at our library. I guess there should be
some concise articles derived from this dissertation in English, maybe
Frank or Roland himself could help on this. Again, I am no expert in this
field, but I am sure Roland reads this message and clarifies the points I
left out or got wrong.

For a concise overview, check wether they have in your library the English
version of Current Laws and Statutes of the ROK. Those 20 regularly updated
volumes are published by the Korea Legislation Research Institute
(www.klri.re.kr). There is an introduction in volume 1 with an overview of
the history of (South)Korea's constitution. Recently, the KLRI started
offering access to the laws and statutes via internet; costs some 390.000
Won p.a. but is free of charge for those who purchase the print version and
its updates.

Best,

Rudiger Frank

At 03:04 24.10.00 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi,
>I'm an undergraduate student at Dickinson College in Carlisle, PA
>currently researching the history of the Korean Constitution of
>Korea.  I found the most recent version of the Constitution but
>am having difficulty finding English versions of prior Constitutions
>and materials on the origin of the Korean Constitution.
>
>I thought, some of you may have a better grip on where I may locate
>these materials.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jimmy Yun

>Jimmy K. Yun                                Dickinson College           -
>Class of 2002                               Hub 2301 PO Box 4888        -
>Political Science Major                     Carlisle, PA 17013          -
>and Computer Science Major                                              -
>Pre-Law                                                                 -
>Curtilage Hall, Law Housing                                             -
>Promoter and Initiator of Korean                                        -
>Studies @ Dickinson College                                             -

Ruediger FRANK
Humboldt-University Berlin
Korea Institute