[KS] Young turks?

goodwins goodwins at txcyber.com
Tue Oct 3 15:53:09 EDT 2000

<200010031627.JAA13751 at koreanctr.KoreanNet.org>
Sender: owner-korean-studies at iic.edu

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

"Richard C. Miller" wrote:

(snip)

>  Kushibo should not have felt the need to end his ... request for opinions
> on ... homosexuality in Korea by pleading for mercy from the list
> moderators.

Isn't that just a tiny bit exaggerated Richard? I mean, there seems to
be no evidence that the moderators have censored any postings, or have I
missed something? (Wouldn't be the first time.)

> I also find the application of Gresham's law and the classroom metaphor
> to open discussion completely inappropriate ... this is a discussion list,
> not a classroom.

With this I completely agree! I felt a sense of "condescension" from
that posting about the "young Turks" or whatever. As my teen aged nephew
might say, "What's the deal with that?" I imagine the comment/analysis
was well intended but it was also revealing; i.e., of just how "set"
some perceive the power relations structuring Korean studies practices
and discourses to really be.

Mike Goodwin
(Toronto, CA & College Station, TX)