[KS] Re: Young turks?

michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 4 11:20:23 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Group:

I've been reading with interest the discussion on how to "moderate" the
listings and discussions.  I think the issues is less what is
"scholarly" and what isn't than how people treat a subject.  There seem
to be some people who think "academic" and "scholarly" means ponderous
and technical, or that less "scholarly" questions are trivial or banal.
I have enjoyed for the most part reading all the discussions on the
list, serious and not so serious.  I use my delet button frequently, and
I often don't have the time to participate.  For those who do have the
time it seems valuable to discuss the issue of content and
appropriateness of different types of discussions if for not other
reason that this sort of airing will make us all sensitive to the sorts
of discussions or comments that offend or are found
objectionable on the list.  The managers of the list do not want to be
placed in a position of censors.  So the group must find ways to be
self-conscious about what they say and put on the list.  Maybe we all
need a 30 min. lag default so that we think before we zap a quick and
ill considered comment.  I've been guilty of being quick to react in the
past, or giving into the temptation to be cute or take a cheap shot.  I
keep learning in my own experience with email that this can be very
hurtful.  Then I must clean up the mess I've made.  Bottom line, think
before you write.  And take issues seriously but not personally.  I
think the list works great for a number of different reasons so lets
keep it that way and make it better.

Best Wishes,

Mike Robinson