[KS] Re: gynecologists

HOLLEE MCGINNIS holleem at usa.net
Fri Sep 1 11:52:27 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Henny's description of some of the "mandatory" things that women giving birth
in Korea must experience (mother and baby being separated immediately, father
not being able to be in the room during delivery, shaving of pubic hair,
urinate and defecate is mandatory) reminds me of the experience my mother had
giving birth in the US back in the 1960s. My father wasn't allowed to be in
the room and was expected to wait outside. She had to have an enema and have
her pubic hair shaved. Everything was extremely sterile. My mother was shocked
at the "homey" room my sister-in-law gave birth in at the hospital when her
grandson was born. So may we be reminded that our "superior" Western medicine
has also only recently become more friendly towards childbirth as well?

Hollee