[KS] Re: KSR 2000-10: _Spirit of the Mountains: Korea's SAN-SHIN

Henny Savenije adam&eve at henny-savenije.demon.nl
Fri Sep 22 05:52:47 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

At 03:39 PM 9/22/00, you wrote:
>REPLY sends your message to the whole list
>I would like to offer another view of David Mason's long anticipated book
>"Spirit of the Mountains: Korea's SAN-SHIN and Traditions of Mountain
>Worship." I am intrigued as to why Korea, as a small country with so many
>mountains, has found it compelling to paint so many pictures of a spirit
>when one could just turn in almost any direction and find a "real" one.
>But I know that it's a lot more convenient to offer prayers and other
>nourishment to the image in the next room than to everyday hike up to the
>top of the peak.
>To hold "Spirit of the Mountains" is to have in hand  a well-researched,
>luxuriously illustrated book on Korea's traditional life -- one which will
>be put in broad circulation. It joins the research of Dr. Zo Zayong who
>said that by studying the traditional art of Korea one can gain insight
>into its sophisticated spiritual foundation. I concur with Mason's sense
>that Sanshin will figure prominently in Korea's environmental, social and
>political future, much as he/she has in its past. So, it's time we get to
>know just how that can be.
>
>I wish to applaud Mason's efforts to walk his talk, literally, by actually
>go up the mountains and into the rural villages, crossing cold streams and
>heated religious biases, to find the deity's many diverse faces. The
>narrative's anecdotal tales of mountain dwelling monks as well as
>information gleaned from collectors and scholars, as well as literary and
>historical sources, are equally welcome.
>
>Of great use to me has been the book's running definitions of many Korean
>terms (nouns both proper and not) which are spread throughout the text and
>compiled into a glossary with romanized transliteration, Chinese and
>Hangol references. I was thrilled to find his translation of prayer to
>Sanshin and a lengthy discussion of comparative religious cults with
>Sanshin as its object of worship.
>
>Surely one can critique the book's production which, by Hollym's standards
>for its other shamanism books, is exceptional, particularly in its
>well-printed slip jacket and binding. And the book deserved a good index.

Well, what can I say, obviously we have different standards ;-)

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------

Feel free to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl (in English)
In Korean
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/indexk2.htm
In Dutch
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/Dutch
Frits Vos Article about Witsen and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch
dictionary
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/FritsVos
Korea through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.crosswinds.net/~hennysavenije/ (in English)