[KS] RE: Olympic Partners?

maliang at wolmail.nl maliang at wolmail.nl
Fri Sep 22 08:30:42 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear all,

As a non-Korean in Korea, the Olympics may be a cause of frustration. Although
I have seen some coverage of (North) Korean boxers, judokas and archers, it's
virtually impossible to see athletes from other countries in action, unless
they're up against Korea. There is virtually no coverage of games NOT involving
Korean athletes, and the overall idea is that the ranking of Korea counts, not
the Olympic spirit (if there ever was one). When a game involving Korea has
ended, they repeat it unless the outcome is very negative. For example: Has
anyone seen the final match between Indonesia and (South) Korea? It was
broadcast last night, but has today not been repeated, probably because Korea
lost. The same happened when in the finals a Japanese judoka beat a (South)
Korean so quickly (5 seconds) it was - I assume - embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong. I love watching Korea's successes, but it all just seems a
bit unfair, especially to the Korean players who fail to win a medal and who
lack the cute looks of a 17-year old (Korea's rifle-shooting silver medallist).

I just checked KBS. They're now (3 PM) showing Korea's (women's) hockey team
play Australia on KBS 1 and repeating this morning's winning final (archery)
match against Italy on KBS 2. On SBS it's... the Korean women's volleybal team
in action. (sigh...)

Roald Maliangkay