[KS] Re: Olympic Partners

Thomas Duvernay goongdo at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 00:59:09 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

> Has there been any coverage of North Koreans by the South on TV?  I have
> only seen one Northern Judo player, and it was a match against Japan.  I
> thought they were supposed to be as "one.'  I was hoping to see more.
> Also, how do they decide who enters which event?  Are they operating as
> two teams, or as one?  I am confused.
>
> Rupert Atkinson

Their entrance was 'as one,' but they compete separately.  Still, there is
much comaraderie; I saw on Korean TV where one 'do-u-mi' (helper) from the
North would act as cheerleader for SK fans.

One notable event that was covered was the women's individual archery
competition.  As you probably know, Korea (south) captured all three medals;
NK (Choe Ok-shil) came in fourth.  If Miss Choe's performance was received
in the rest of the country as it was in my [Korean] archery club, the two
countries are now closer than they were; when she hit a nine or ten, our
members cheered-- when she scored lower, there were sighs.

Thomas