[KS] Re: Japanese Colonization Period

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 2 19:53:59 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

>The hundreds of years fell between Hideyoshi and the late 1880's and
>culminated in annexation of Korea in 1910.  Long range perspective of
>Japanese shoguns and other warring clans plus pirates.

We have discussed that a year ago on this list, haven't we? (You may
not have been on the list then, but you can read it in the archives.)
There are no historical sources that would prove your above statement
to be valid. There sure was no master plan for the occupation of
Korea, not until very late into the 19th century, and using the term
"culmination" if referring to the centuries between the Hideyoshi
Invasions and 1910 also builds upon the idea of linear historical
developments, but that seems too much of a short cut to describe this
period (and we have just discussed that a month ago). Also, this is
not what Korean historians write -- maybe the press, from time to
time.

>Were Chun Doo Hwan and Kim Jong IL aligned with the Japanese during their
>occupation?

Not too funny -- but okay ... you know I was talking about murder as
a solution for murder.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann * 314 Wilde Ave. * San Francisco, CA 94134 * USA
E-MAIL: hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu  *  Fax: (520) 438-4890
W W W : http://www.iic.edu/hoffmann/