[KS] Re: Japanese Colonization Period

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Sat Sep 2 17:39:04 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

"The Japanese tried for hundreds of years to conqueror the Koreans (...)."
Hundreds of years  ... did they try this every year, every other
year, every five years?

"If Emperor Hirohito was hanged like the other Nurnberg War Crimes
Trial defendants perhaps there would be a more balanced view of the
colonial occupation."
So we are with hanging now as a solution for what? War crimes only?
Would you then also propose to hang Chun Doo Hwan? Will we hang Kim
Jong Il?
A more balanced view ... we ... who is "we"?

As for Mr. Haas' original question. I am a little shy to respond ...
there are a number of good books giving a somewhat different view
than the usual nationalistic rhetoric Mr. Haas was talking about.
Just to mention one new publication: Gi-Wook Shin and Michael
Robinson (eds.), _Colonial Modernity in Korea_, Harvard UP, 1999.  I
especially recommend the introduction, "Rethinking Colonial Korea"
(written by the mentioned editors), but also all the other chapters.

Frank