[KS] Re: KSR 2000-07: _Silence Broken: Korean Comfort Women_, by

Richard C. Miller rcmiller at students.wisc.edu
Wed Sep 20 23:08:19 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Dear Ms. Kim-Gibson,

Thank you for sending your response to Keith Howard's review to the list.
The critical response to your book (and now your response to that response)
should be fully included in any classroom or scholarly discussion of the
book and the issues it raises. Not the least of which is the question of
the "positioned subject," which has been (and continues to be) an important
one in every field that makes use of interviews and fieldwork, such as
anthropology.

As for the issue of Keith Howard's name, it is hardly a surprise that
someone would confuse the parts of Keith Howard's name, since the poor man
was saddled with two first names and no last name.  Or is that two last
names and no first name (thinking of the American actor Brian Keith).

I can clarify one point:

>For instance, he indicates that there is a grammatical mistake in the long
>quotation cited above and gives "Batavia, then known as Jakarta" as an
>example of misspelling.  According to the Random House Dictionary, the
>spelling is correct.  So I am puzzled.

The spelling is correct, but the order is backwards: Jakarta is the current
name of the city previously known as Batavia. So the sentence should read
either "Jakarta, then known as Batavia" or "Batavia, now known as Jakarta."

Rare today is the book published without such errors. It is, I believe, the
responsibility of the press and its editor to check for and correct them,
but that seems to be a nostalgic position anymore...

Richard
--Richard C. Miller
--UW School of Music
--Manado, Indonesia