[KS] Re: Japanese Colonization Period

Yong-ho Choe choeyh at hawaii.edu
Mon Sep 4 18:35:12 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

For a more positive assessment of Korean economy under the Japanese colonial rule, see an article by Professor An PyOng-jik of Seoul National University, who debates Professor Shin Yong-ha in <<Ch'angjak kwa pip'yOng>>, No. 98 (Winter 1997).  Professor An's article is "Han'guk hyOndaesa Ui saeroun p'aerOdaim."  He probably has other works written before and after this article.  Formerly, he was very critical of the economic conditions under the Japanese rule, but sometime in the 1990s, he had a sharp turn in his view and wishes to recognize the Japanese colonial rule as having contributed significantly to the growth of capitalism in Korea.

At 04:48 PM 9/3/2000 -1000, you wrote:
>REPLY sends your message to the whole list
>
>Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry.  I am
>interested in reading colonial histories in Korean
>mainly because I want to see how Koreans view their
>own history.  Also, American historians seem to me to
>be very influenced by De-constructionism.  I, too
>favor this method, but I don't necessarily think it is
>the best way, or the only available one for writing a
>good history.
>
>I see how emotional Koreans get when colonial history
>is brought up.  Worse is the reaction if you say that
>not all Koreans were victims of the Japanese.  It
>reminds me of talking to Americans about racism.
>Americans consider it one of the biggest problems
>facing America, and yet in my history class it was
>never mentioned.  So, I think the curious thing about
>emotional historical issues is maybe not what they are
>saying about it, but what they are not saying about
>it.
>

>=====
>Carlon Haas
>
>http://www.geocities.com/king_of_seoul

>Yahoo! Mail - Free email you can access from anywhere!
>http://mail.yahoo.com/

Yong-ho Choe, Professor
Department of History
University of Hawaii at Manoa