[KS] Re: Japanese Colonization Period

Carlon Haas king_of_seoul at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 3 22:47:22 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

Thanks for all the responses to my inquiry.  I am
interested in reading colonial histories in Korean
mainly because I want to see how Koreans view their
own history.  Also, American historians seem to me to
be very influenced by De-constructionism.  I, too
favor this method, but I don't necessarily think it is
the best way, or the only available one for writing a
good history.

I see how emotional Koreans get when colonial history
is brought up.  Worse is the reaction if you say that
not all Koreans were victims of the Japanese.  It
reminds me of talking to Americans about racism.
Americans consider it one of the biggest problems
facing America, and yet in my history class it was
never mentioned.  So, I think the curious thing about
emotional historical issues is maybe not what they are
saying about it, but what they are not saying about
it.

=====
Carlon Haas

http://www.geocities.com/king_of_seoul