[KS] RE: Olympic Partners?

Mia Yun miayun at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 22 11:40:30 EDT 2000

REPLY sends your message to the whole list

--=====================_1230762==_.ALT

Well, I live here in America and the only Olympic events I see on TV,
broadcast
by NBC, are the ones where American athletes compete.   Americans just want to
see their heroes.   If America is out of it, then we ain't watching it.
Is it
ethnocentrism at its finest?   Where's the difference in the way Koreans and
Americans cover the Olympic games?

At 12:41 AM 9/22/00 -0700, you wrote:
>REPLY sends your message to the whole list
>
>I also live in Korea and have noticed the same thing.
>If you can get AFKN, then you can watch some others.
>I like the Korean coverage in that they don't have all
>the "human interest" stories and tend to just show the
>games.  However, they only show sports that Koreans
>are competeing in.  In other words, if Korea is out of
>it, then we ain't watchin' it.  It is more annoying
>for me personally, but then again if you are familiar
>with Korean Sports TV, then this Olympic coverage
>should not be a surprise.  I once wanted to watch a
>game and saw the Dodger game advertised.  But when I
>turned it on, it only showed every Pak pitch, and no
>Dodger batting at all.  It only showed highlights of a
>Dodgers home run.
>
>I don't know what to think of it.  Is it ethnocentrism
>at its finest?  Or perhaps Koreans just want to see
>their heroes (Korean, that is).  The most coverage I
>ever saw of Koreans at the Olympics on American TV was
>in 1988 when the one Korean boxer sat in the ring for
>3 hours.  Good stuff, that was.
>
>Anyway, I'm rambling.  On a side note, as a former
>fencer I have to give kudos to Kim Young-ho (I hope
>that's right) for capturing gold in Men's foil.  I
>thought I wouldn't get to watch fenceing on Korean TV
>and he made it all possible for me.  Way to go!!!!
>
>=====
>Carlon Haas
>
>http://www.geocities.com/king_of_seoul

>http://im.yahoo.com/

Mia Yun
Author of HOUSE OF THE WINDS
http://www.pipeline.com/~miayun
--=====================_1230762==_.ALT

see on TV, broadcast by NBC, are the ones where American athletes
compete.   Americans just want to see their heroes.
If America is out of it, then we ain't watching it.   Is it
ethnocentrism at its finest?   Where's the difference in the
way Koreans and Americans cover the Olympic games?  <br>
At 12:41 AM 9/22/00 -0700, you wrote:<br>
>REPLY sends your message to the whole list<br>
>__________________________________________<br>
>I also live in Korea and have noticed the same thing. <br>
>If you can get AFKN, then you can watch some others. <br>
>I like the Korean coverage in that they don't have all<br>
>the "human interest" stories and tend to just show
the<br>
>games.  However, they only show sports that Koreans<br>
>are competeing in.  In other words, if Korea is out of<br>
>it, then we ain't watchin' it.  It is more annoying<br>
>for me personally, but then again if you are familiar<br>
>with Korean Sports TV, then this Olympic coverage<br>
>should not be a surprise.  I once wanted to watch a<br>
>game and saw the Dodger game advertised.  But when I<br>
>turned it on, it only showed every Pak pitch, and no<br>
>Dodger batting at all.  It only showed highlights of a<br>
>Dodgers home run.<br>
>I don't know what to think of it.  Is it ethnocentrism<br>
>at its finest?  Or perhaps Koreans just want to see<br>
>their heroes (Korean, that is).  The most coverage I<br>
>ever saw of Koreans at the Olympics on American TV was<br>
>in 1988 when the one Korean boxer sat in the ring for<br>
>3 hours.  Good stuff, that was.<br>
>Anyway, I'm rambling.  On a side note, as a former<br>
>fencer I have to give kudos to Kim Young-ho (I hope<br>
>that's right) for capturing gold in Men's foil.  I<br>
>thought I wouldn't get to watch fenceing on Korean TV<br>
>and he made it all possible for me.  Way to go!!!!<br>
>=====<br>
>Carlon Haas<br>
>Send instant messages & get email alerts with Yahoo!
Messenger.<br>

Author of HOUSE OF THE WINDS<br>