[KS] e-Resources + FROM North Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Sun Dec 9 06:15:33 EST 2001

Dear All:

Here two new websites related to North Korean software products and
e-mail. I think that might be of interest for some of you.

SiliBank has been operative since October 8, 2001. It offers, for a
$100 (!!!) membership fee "free" e-mail communication with North
Korea. The domain name was registered in Sept. 2001 in China, with
Paycenter (http://www.paycenter.com.cn) for:
        LiaoNing ZhongTian Real Estate Develolpment Co. LTD.
        No.79, 11 Road, Heping District
        110025
The technical + administrative contact, however, is with "Shenyang
Public Information Industry Co., Ltd."
P'yôngyang has been using servers in Shenyang since at least 1995,
maybe longer. More recently there were also accounts established for
Wônsan, don't know about other cities. (The e-mail header, if you
indeed look at ALL entries in that header, gives you the server IP,
and the server IPs are distributed by region, therefore give you the
exact location of the server that is being used ... always Shenyang).

-------------------------------------- 1 ------------------------------------

http://www.silibank.com
FOLLOWING IS QUOTED FROM THE *ENGLISH* VERSION OF SiliBank's WEBSITE:

We have two mail-servers both in Shenyang of the Peoples' Republic of
China and Pyongyang of the DPRK and provide the E-mail relay service
between these two servers.
When you register for SiliBank you can freely communicate with the
customers in the DPRK those who have E-mail address of SiliBank.
SiliBank exchanges the E-mail between two servers in Shenyang of the
PRC and Pyongyang of the DPRK.per 30 minutes. Soon we will provide
the round-the-clock service to shorten the communication time.
(...)
To register for SiliBank,you should apply for membership registry first.
When you register you must specify your E-mail address and main
communicator in the DPRK.
From the time when you register you will be able to exchange E-mail
with the customers those who registered for SiliBank in the DPRK. You
can exchange E-mail making use of common E-mail client(for example
Outlook).
After you apply for registry you will be obliged to transmit the
expense of membership registry and initial communication for 3 months.
After we admiss your application we will promptly notice you the
method of the remittance by fax or E-mail.
Expense of membership registry 100$ .
(...)
Free service period 6 months The limitation of E-mail exchange 100 pieces.
<<

-------------------------------------- 2 ------------------------------------

http://www.pic-international.com

This company in Singapore offers North Korean software programs for
PC and Mac -- you can download trial versions at above Website. It
also offers interactive e-Books about Korean culture and history.
Most important, of course, is their Karaoke editing program, you
don't want to miss out on that one!
- Changdok (Korean Word Processor)
- Karaoke Editing Tool and Play Program
- Dul (2D CAD program)
- Korean Fonts Collection for PC and Mac (!)
- King of Accounting
... and various interactive CDs about Korean culture and history, etc.