[KS] perspectives on Korean history

joshua john van lieu sumnom at u.washington.edu
Mon Dec 10 18:24:50 EST 2001

It is my understanding that the historical record is not at all clear on
the question of Japanese control of Kaya, or Minama. I don't think it is
even known where Minama was. Aren't there some scholars who think Minama
might have been located in Kyushu? It is also a little difficult to
identify a "Japan" that would have lost any territory at that time. That which
we call Japan is a relatively new phenomenon. I have heard it said that
the tale of a lost Japanese province in Korea was a fiction of Japanese
expansionists in the early and middle Meiji period.

As for Korean invasions of neighbors, should we count King Kwanggaet'o?
Did he not kwang-ly kae the t'o, as his name suggests? I'm not so sure I
want to identify Koguryo as Korea, however. And what of Choson kings
"pacifying" the barbarians in the northeast? Was this not a seizure of
someone else's land?

As for the original question, I think it is rather diffciult to maintain
the position that Korea was continually invaded throughout its history.
The Choson dynasty in particular was remarkably stable and suffered very
few major military incursions. In 500 years there were the Imjin Wars, the two
"Manchu" invasions, and the Japanese annexation in 1910 (is annexation
the same as invasion?). The Choson dynasty is remarkable for its
relative peace and stability, not for constant military conflict.

So just what are these 2,000 plus invasions? Pirates? Orangk'ae from the
north? Is this sort of skirmishing any different than what every other
state went through?