[KS] perspectives on Korean history

Thomas Duvernay goongdo at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 11 05:00:15 EST 2001

> It is my understanding that the historical record is not at all clear on
> the question of Japanese control of Kaya, or Minama. I don't think it is
> even known where Minama was. Aren't there some scholars who think Minama
> might have been located in Kyushu? It is also a little difficult to
> identify a "Japan" that would have lost any territory at that time. That
which
> we call Japan is a relatively new phenomenon. I have heard it said that
> the tale of a lost Japanese province in Korea was a fiction of Japanese
> expansionists in the early and middle Meiji period.

Mimana (or 'Imna Ilbonbu' in Korean) was located in the very southern part
of the peninusula.  The Japanese, in their rewriting of history, claimed
territory that roughly covered the expanse of Kaya.  A few years ago, I had
a newsgroup tif with a Japanist who was thoroughly convinced that the
Japanese version was 100% true (do a usenet search and you'll probably find
them).

A couple of web sources are:

http://prome.snu.ac.kr/~wthong/bookreview/1.html

http://prome.snu.ac.kr/~wthong/paekche/paekch_e.html