[KS] dropping McCune-Reischauer for 20th/21st c. personal names

Gari Keith Ledyard gkl1 at columbia.edu
Thu Dec 13 16:05:24 EST 2001

Dear Frank,
	In romanization, the big interest is that people make a sincere
effort to follow the rules, and do the romanizing correctly.  As to the
periods and situations in which we should use a standard romanization,
that is a matter for the individual writer or scholar to determine.  I
understand what you're saying, and do not doubt that the kind of
romanization decisions that you must make in dealing with the globalized
world of contemporary art might rule out using an identity-obliterating
romanization.  But this is for you, the individual critic or scholar, to
decide.  It is not something for which we have to make a standard rule for
everybody, or for which we must must establish definitions of historical
time.  There are no czars here, and we need no ukases.  Nobody is
going to run you out of Korean Studies if you write "Paik Nam-June."
Romanization is hard enough in Korean without having an extra
set of rules for when we should and should not use it.  A scholar like
yourself should do what you have to do, based on your own good reasons,
and the rest of us must respect you for that.  But please, no more rules
and regulations.  I apologize to you and the list for saying your proposal
was silly.

Gari Ledyard