[KS] Re: Korea-mania in China

Eugene Y. Park parkey at benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu
Wed Oct 3 18:28:27 EDT 2001

Dear All,

Just recently I was talking about the same phenomenon with some
academics in Korea.  I proposed, rightly or wrongly, that perhaps South
Korea is now in a position to export its own pop culture.  In response,
another professor suggested that young kids in the PRC and Vietnam are
not so much attracted to things South Korean as western/pop cultural
productions that "happen to be" produced by South Koreans.

Is this a useful disctinction?  I remain undecided.

Gene