[KS] Re: Korea-mania in China

Cheng Sea Ling c0cheng at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 4 16:53:10 EDT 2001

>From: Mark Peterson <Mark_Peterson at byu.edu>
>To: korean-studies at iic.edu
>Subject: Re: Korea-mania in China
>Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:38:22 -0700
>
> >  Though I also read a gossip magazine that
> >complains about Korean movie stars who don't have Chinese names but want
> >enter the Chinese market...
> >

> >Sealing Cheng
>

>I guess my question is, are you talking about han'gul names? or
>non-Chinese Sino-Korean names?  Or is it the given names, not the
>surnames?
>
>I hope this question is of general interest.
>
>with best regards,
>Mark Peterson

I recall that the gossip magazine I read was listing out some Korean movie
stars whose movies have made an impression on the HK audience, some had
their names printed in Chinese, others were in English. I didn't check what
names they were and if they were hangul without equivalents in Chinese
characters. My assumption is that these actors/actresses have given names
in hangul that could only be printed in the Chinese press with English
transliteration.

While I haven't seen any complaint about Jennifer Lopez or Robbie Williams
not having a Chinese name, these 'western names' are somehow considered
transliterable (?) and sometimes do get transliterated into Chinese if they
are not written in English. And to my limited knowledge, all Japanese stars
have their names written in CHinese and are referred to more with their
Chinese names. Therefore, my guess is that given that Korea is considered
part of the East Asian cultural sphere, the reporter and probably many of
the readers expected Korean pop stars to have easily recognisable Chinese
names. They are also, somehow, not ready to 'transliterate' the English
transliteration of these Korean names.

I hope i am making sense here.

Sealing