[KS] Re: Korea-mania in China

michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 3 21:56:39 EDT 2001

With regard to the distinction of Western popular culture being simply
"produced" by Koreans...the assumption being it is the Western pop that is
the attraction, this would assume some reified concept that there is
something as pure as Western ppular culture.....I suppose the referent is
rock/popular music....or fashion.  Dichotomizing Western pop from some other
styles of poular culture seems to follow along the old saw of popular (are
re referring to "mass"?) culture first emerged int he West therefore is
priviledged as only western culture....something that can be mearly
immitated.  The distinction to me seems spurious.  Korean popular culture
becomes Korean in the doing, that is if it needs to be designated as Korean
at all.  I'd like to hear more weigh in on this interesting phenomenon.
What of popular cultural interchange, fads, etc. that began with the
original evolution of an East Asian modernity and involved more than simply
East Asian borrowing something Western. ?