[KS] study options - ETA program

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Mon Apr 15 05:10:02 EDT 2002

Dear KS colleagues:

Ms. Morgan Pitelka asked if there were opportunities for recent college
graduates to study or work in Korea.  I think this is a good time to mention
to the list the existence of the Fulbright ETA (English Teaching Assistant)
program to Korea.  The ETA program takes American recent college graduates
and brings them to Korea to teach English in Korean middle and high schools
outside of Seoul.  They come in July for six weeks of language survival
training, teacher survival training, and cultural adaptation in Chunchon;
then they work as the only native speaker of English in their schools for a
year as they teach with Korean co-teachers and live in a Korean homestay.
The program requires no prior knowledge of Korea or the Korean language and
no prior teaching experience, but the ETAs never get Korea out of their
system - one of the 1994 ETAs is returning this fall, in fact, as a regular
graduate student Fulbrighter doing dissertation research in Korean studies.
We have 50+ ETAs this year and hope for more next year.  Application is
through the campus Fulbright Coordinator and IIE and the deadline is in
October, but we have been publicizing the program on American university
campuses this spring through a brochure.  The text of that brochure is
pasted below Ms. Pitelka's message.  If you know of recent college
graduates - or someone who will be a college senior this fall - who might
like to come to Korea for a year, please ask them to apply or ask us if they
have questions - or at least look the websites, including our own:
www.fulbright.or.kr

Horace H. Underwood
Executive Director (Fulbright)
Korean-American Educational Commission