[KS] Important new works in modern Korean history

Afostercarter at aol.com Afostercarter at aol.com
Wed Dec 18 15:01:26 EST 2002

Could I add a footnote to this? Another new work in the same area,
which may have had less attention so far - being written by a Russian
in Australia, and brought out by a small British publisher - is:

Andrei LANKOV. From Stalin to Kim Il Sung: the Formation
of North Korea, 1945-1960. London: C Hurst & Co, Nov 2002.
pp xviii, 202. Price £35 pounds, hardback.  www.hurstpub.co.uk

Dr Lankov has worked extensively in the Russian archives.
I have yet to see Charles Armstrong's book, but it sounds as if they
may complement one another. They would surely make a fine pair
for a joint review.

Those unfamiliar with Andrei Lankov and his work can find a
selection, in English and Russian, on the very useful North Korea
website maintained by his compatriot and fellow-Antipodean
resident, Leonid Pletnov. The URL is:
http://members.fortunecity.com/leonid7/lankov.htm
(It can be slow to load, in my experience)

Finally, season's greetings to all Listeners!

Aidan FC

AIDAN FOSTER-CARTER
Honorary Senior Research Fellow in Sociology & Modern Korea, Leeds University
17 Birklands Road, Shipley, West Yorkshire, BD18 3BY, UK
tel:    +44(0)  1274  588586        mobile:  +44(0)  7970  741307
fax:    +44(0)  1274  773663        Email: afostercarter at aol.com

In a message dated 12/17/02 01:21:54 GMT Standard Time, gkl1 at columbia.edu