[KS] Chuch'e

Charles Rd K Armstrong cra10 at columbia.edu
Mon Feb 11 09:01:30 EST 2002

Dear Ruediger,

Dr. Petrov's statement is correct, but I doubt that Paek Nam-un's speech
had much to do with the formation of juche ideology in North Korea, except
by analogy -- that is, in retrospect we can see that the highly mobilized
society of post-Korean War North Korea uses a similar rhetoric to wartime
Japan. The notion of juche does have roots in early East Asian ideas of
nation-centered subjectivity. Bruce Cumings argues that juche is a kind of
negative response to Japanese kokutai ("national essence") the rallying
point of pre-war and wartime Japanese patriotism and militarism. See
Cumings' article on The Corporate State in North Korea in Hagen Koo's book
State and Society in Contemporary Korea (Cornell University Press, 1993).
Shutaisei (juchesong in Korean pronunciation) and its meaning was the
subject of much philosophical discussion in 1920s Japan; see for example
Harry Harootunion and Tetsuo Najita's chapter on Overcoming Modernity in
Cambridge History of Japan, or for a more extended treatment Harootunian's
recent book Overcoming Modernity. I'm sure there are others on this list
with more expertise in Japanese intellectual history who could discuss
that subject more extensively. Best,

Charles