[KS] Chuch'e

michael Robinson mrobinso at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 11 11:41:58 EST 2002

Dear Ruediget and all:

We need to remember as well that juche was being used in a number of
different meanings in the first decade of the 20th century.  I'm not sure
"nation-centered subjectivity" would be the best translation of its meaning
as used by Sin Ch'aeho or others as they searched for words to describe
independence, autonomy, self-development etc.  I would counsel caution on
quick application of "subjectivity" that have emerged more recently in our
understanding of group/self identity and its relationship with political
ideology and nation.  Luckily more work is emerging on early 20thcentury
intellectual history and influence of Japanese and Chinese writing on the
development of Korean thought.

Mike R.