[KS] Chuch'e

Gari Keith Ledyard gkl1 at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 12 00:25:51 EST 2002

Ruediger's question has certainly generated a fascinating discussion, and
I can't add much to the lustre already created by Petrov, Cumings,
Armstrong, Hoffman, Ch'oe et al.  But as with many other modern issues
that I jump into from time to time, I want to mention the classical echoes
of the term kukch'e/kokutai.  It is frequently seen in 19th century
Confucian writings, but in a sense that is never refected by the usual
translations-- national body, body politic, national polity, national
essence, national entity, etc.  Apart from the fascist ring of some of
these renderings, which is important, it is hard to imagine what kukch'e
actually MEANT to the multitudes that were forced to mouth the word
everyday.  I have always found most of the translations opaque and
inadequate.  But in the classical discourse, kukch'e connoted something
like the national face-- and I mean the face that one loses.  The element
<ch'e> has a lot to do with <ch'emy^on>, and that is a concept which
resonates deeply in all members of East Asian societies.  The kukch'e can
be hurt, it can be embarrassed, it can be insulted, it can be sullied.
The members of the society must behave in such a way that the kukch'e will
not be "lost."  This sense of the word resonates with emotions and ethics
that spring from deep sources in the traditional psyche.  It is because of
those resonances that the term had so much manipulative power.
	One other comment I wanted to make concerns the literary genre
represented by Paek Nam'un's speech.  It is indeed one of the classical
exercises that followed the tenk^o, or ch^onhyang in Korean, meaning "a
turning" but connoting so much more.  Almost every intellectual, but
especially those on the left, had to do their tenk^o--turn away from
communism and turn toward the protection and nurturing of the kokutai.
It started with a confession of moral and philosophical errors, then a
positive response to the demand for a renewal of the self.  The new self
then had to demonstrate repeatedly its new commitment and direction
through public speeches, and through a new tone in whatever a given
individual did, whether it was art, literature, music, scholarship,
journalism, whatever.  People who got to this point seldom ever got off
the hook.  Against this background, my first inclination would be not to
take Paek Nam'un's speeches or other writings after the tenk^o too
seriously.  The pressure exerted by the multitude of handlers and guides
who followed up on the tenk^o was enormous.  You want to take a trip?
Give a speech and we'll think about it.  You want your kids to stay in the
prestigious school where they're enrolled?  Write an article and it can be
arranged.  Otherwise...  All of this usually developed without torture or
imprisonment, but there was pain enough.

Gari Ledyard