[KS] Three Korea Book Opportunities

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Thu Jan 17 04:23:21 EST 2002

Dear Colleagues:

Three book opportunities.

First, AVAILABLE FREE.  The Fulbright Commission in Korea last fall
published the "Korea Fulbright Review, 2001."  Called "A palette of research
done by and experiences of Fulbrighters in Korea" it ranges from serious
research by Fulbright senior scholars and American Fulbright graduate
students in Korean studies to viewpoint and experience essays of their year
in provincial secondary schools by Fulbright English Teaching Assistants.
This 60-pp. review is available at no charge to anyone who wishes one in any
country.  If you want a copy, please email me directly at
hhu at fulbright.or.kr.  Please include your preferred mailing address TYPED IN
ADDRESS FORMAT so I can print it out and paste it on the envelope.

Second, many of you are aware that my father, Horace G. Underwood, has
published his memoirs, and many people have asked me about acquiring a copy,
as Yonsei University Press has not made it available through Amazon.  I have
gotten some copies on consignment from the university press office if anyone
wishes one.  The book is "Korea in War, Revolution and Peace: The
Recollections of Horace G. Underwood," edited and annotated by Michael J.
Devine.  The Yonsei Press cost is W20,000, or about $16.  I can mail it to
the U.S. for $4.  If anyone in the U.S. will email me directly at
hhu at fulbright.or.kr and send me a check for $20, I'll send a copy.  (Postage
varies for other countries - email me and I'll find out.)

Finally, last October I mentioned to the Korean Studies listserv that I had
a list of books on Korean literature in translation that I was seeking to
sell, and asked if anyone wished a copy of the list.  I was very gratified
by the response, as over 50 people asked for the list, and I passed on over
800 volumes to people and institutions who wanted books on Korea.  I was
inspired by my experience and by those who asked if I had any more books to
dig out the rest of what I had in deep storage and create a second and final
list of duplicates and excess volumes.  This time the list includes more
books in history and politics than in literature, as well as a good
sprinkling of books in Korean.  Once again, I hope to be able to sell some
of them to interested individuals and scholars of Korean studies.  (This
will be the last such list; I do not plan to have a never-ending
"going-out-of-business" sale, and after this I have no more books I'm
willing to part with.)

There are about 400 volumes which I have entered in a book/price list. The
list is a Word document, a searchable Table, of 350 KB.  I certainly do not
want to fill up people's mailboxes, so the list is neither attached nor
pasted.  Rather, if you are interested in acquiring books on Korea or even
just looking at a large list of books, please email me directly at
hhu at fulbright.or.kr and I will send you the list as an attachment.

Thank you.

Horace H. Underwood
hhu at fulbright.or.kr