[KS] English Teachers in the Foreign

Gwang Ok gwangok at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 00:10:45 EST 2002

Hello lists members of Korean Studies,

I always learn a lot from this list.  I really appreciate that.

I wonder if anyone could help me out with the following question.

I am trying to get some information on English teachers, who taught
in the Foreign Language School (founded in 1886 as Yuk-yeong
Gong-weon); W. du F. Hutchinson, T. E. Hallifax, and A. B. Turner.
Hutchinson was the headmaster of Gwanrip Yeong-eo Hakgyo [The Public
English School] and the other two were English teachers in the
school.  I am also aware of that they were from Britain - I learnt it
from some history books on Korean education.  They coordinated the
first athletic meeting in Korea in 1896.  These are all I know about
them.

Is there anyone who could guide me to find clues about them more
details and correct me if I am wrong with above information?  Or
would you introduce me someone who is expert in this?  I am deadly
curious about where were they born and educated?  When did they come
to Korea and what did they do after the school was abolished?

I have been searching for these three persons in biographical
references such as "Who's Who?", "British National Biography",
"Current Biography" and so forth,  however, it hasn't been successful
yet.

Hope some of you could help.

Thanks for your reading and looking forward to hearing from you with
positive news.

All the best.

Gwang Ok
PhD Student