[KS] pigtails

Kirk W. Larsen kwlarsen at gwu.edu
Mon Jun 17 14:09:06 EDT 2002

Kirk Larsen
The George Washington University

Venturing on a pig-tail tangent, what is the conventional wisdom (both during the Choson period and today) concerning the relationship between the Manchu queue and the Korean top-knot?

Along similar lines, Chinese revolutionaries such as Zou Rong were critical of not only the queue but other Manchu accoutrements of office such as: "these peacock feathers, these red hat buttons, these Necklaces" (Ed Rhoads, Manchus and Han, 15). Does anyone have a sense of the relationship between traditional Korean court dress and, more particularly military officers' uniforms and their Manchu/Jurchen/barbarian counterparts?

Cheers,

Kirk W. Larsen
Department of History and
Elliott School of International Affairs