[KS] pigtails

Alain Delissen delissen at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jun 25 07:05:20 EDT 2002

Dear Koen,

Wherever Yun Ch'iho took it firstly, there is visibly a collision of
derogatory expressions, social practices, cultural norms, and inter-national
clichés that should induce you to think of your "pigtail/tonbi" question in
terms of a complex and multi-layered genealogy, instead of addressing it in
terms of a unique origin with a well-defined first occurrence.

Although the book is somewhat uneven, I suggest that you also have a look at
the following reference:

Alf Hiltebeitel & Barbara D. Miller (eds.), Hair. Its Power and Meaning in
Asian Cultures. Albany: SUNY, 1998.

More precisely, see in it:

CHENG Weikun, "Politics of the queue: agitation and resistance in the
beginning and end of Qing China", pp. 123-142.

"The queue style, a source of foreign ridicule and insults, such as
"pigtail", "the tailed lackey", and "half-shaved monks", was apparently
detrimental to China's international prestige [...]. The author of "Lun
bianfa yuanyu" ("On the reasons of changing hair style") remarked: "A
Chinese male has his forehead shaved and wears a queue on his back, looking
like a rope, a chain, or an animal tail. In so doing, he inevitably has a
sense of inferiority, leaving aside how he looks to others [...]" . pp.
129-130.

In terms of ideological and practical affinities between Chinese
(Han)/Confucian world views and early 20th c. Social-Darwinism (which should
be Yun's "pillars of wisdom" or shouldn't they?), see in the same volume:

DIKOETTER Frank, "Hairy Barbarians, Furry Primates, and Wild Men: Medical
Science and Cultural Representations of Hair in China", pp. 51-74.

--

Alain DELISSEN
Ecole des hautes etudes en sciences sociales, Paris
delissen at ehess.fr
delissen at wanadoo.fr

European Journal of East Asian Studies
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/publications/EJEAS