[KS] Spam and South Korea

Frank Hoffmann hoffmann at fas.harvard.edu
Fri May 24 03:11:59 EDT 2002

Dear Alain -- and others:

As for your point one:  I don't think this is possible. The KS
subscriber list ... now about 540 e-mail addresses, is only
accessible to the six list moderators. This has been so since about
two years. We have a strict rule of not giving this list out to
anyone!

Much more likely, I can only speculate, is that the e-mail list which
I maintain at http://koreaweb.ws/10_koreanists.html might serve as a
source for spammers. For the record, please note that THIS list is
not in any way related to the list of subscribers to "KoreanStudies."
At this point it might be much too late to delete this list anyway,
if this is what you suggest (?), as these addresses will already have
found their way into much larger spammer databases.

Point two:  What are you suggesting? What do ROK laws and regulations
say about spamming? In the U.S., for example, a message that includes
instructions of how to 'unsubscribe' the recipient's e-mail address
would legally NOT be considered "spam." So we can all be busy
'unsubscribing' all day and none of us ever gets any spam ...

Yours,
Frank