[KS] Spam and South Korea

Henny Savenije adam_eve at henny-savenije.pe.kr
Fri May 24 05:46:01 EDT 2002

At 04:11 PM 2002-05-24, Frank Hoffmann wrote:
>Point two:  What are you suggesting? What do ROK laws and regulations say
>about spamming? In the U.S., for example, a message that includes
>instructions of how to 'unsubscribe' the recipient's e-mail address would
>legally NOT be considered "spam." So we can all be busy 'unsubscribing'
>all day and none of us ever gets any spam ...

Korean law is going to be changed. Take a look at the following:

> [...]
>foreign domain registration service provider. Tonic.to, a U.S.-based
>domain company, terminated the "wo.to" Web site operated by a Korean firm,
>after receiving reports about spamming, Monday.
>
>The termination affects not only "wo.to" but its third-level domain
>service users. In other words, some ordinary Internet homepage users rely
>on "wo.to" to simply access their Web addresses and due to the sudden
>termination all services have stopped. The number of people who used the
>"wo.to" Web site routing service was estimated at 1.3 million.
>
>At the same time, major portal sites in Korea have begun to combat spam
>mail senders, a response to the snowballing influx of trash e-mail that
>often clogs corporate mail servers and deeply irritates online users.
>
>Korea's portals are flexing their muscles in all sorts of online
>activities ranging from personal homepages to news to e-mail accounts. And
>these portals are now enthusiastic about regulating spam mail, though its
>effect remains to be seen.
>
>Daum Communications Corp., a Kosdaq-listed e-mail service provider,
>introduced what it calls an "online stamp" system that charges a fee for
>bulk mail senders. The controversial plan, in effect since April 1, irks a
>host of online marketing companies, but Daum argues such filtering is
>essential to controlling the maintenance costs of its free e-mail accounts
>and curbing spam mail.
>
>NHN, an Internet holding company that operates Naver.com and HanGame, said
>it will also control bulk mail by asking online marketers to register
>their IP addresses. Although NHN and Daum are alike in their pursuit to
>identify bulk mail senders, there is one important distinction. NHN said
>it will not charge a fee on bulk mail, rejecting the concept of a paid
>online stamp system, espoused by Daum.
>
>NHN said its prime concern is to protect young online users and children
>from harmful, particularly adult, spam mail. And the registration of IP
>addresses will help filter out those adult site promoters.
>
>NHN said spam mailers promoting adult content, pyramid sales and illegal
>CDs of pirated software do not use fixed IP addresses and therefore cannot
>send spam mail to NHN mail users, while ordinary online marketers will be
>allowed to communicate with their members with NHN mail accounts once
>their IP addresses are registered.
>
>According to the Korea Information Security Agency (KISA), Korean email
>users were receiving on average 32.65 spam messages per week as of the end
>of November, 2001, up from 16.87 a year earlier.
>
>KISA said 52.8 percent of such spam messages are to promote general
>products and services, followed by adult content advertisements at 18.5
>percent, lottery and online money-making information at 14.3 percent and
>illegal software sales at 12.4 percent.
>
>The number of user complaints about spam mail rose from 325 in 2000 to

Henny (Lee Hae Kang)
-----------------------------
Feel free to discover Korea with Hendrick Hamel (1653-1666)
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl (in English)
In Korean
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/indexk2.htm
In Dutch
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/Dutch
Frits Vos Article about Witsen and Eibokken and his first Korean-Dutch
dictionary
http://www.henny-savenije.demon.nl/FritsVos
Korea through Western Cartographic eyes
http://www.cartography.henny-savenije.pe.kr (in English)