[KS] Fulbright Concert (in lieu of Forum)

Horace H. Underwood hhu at fulbright.or.kr
Thu Oct 24 02:08:12 EDT 2002

FULBRIGHT CONCERT!!

For October, instead of a Fulbright Forum, the Korean American Educational
Commission is pleased to invite you to attend a Lecture Concert at the
National Center for Korean Traditional Performing Arts.  The event will be
held on Thursday, October 31, 2002, at 7:30 p.m.

The featured scholar this month will be Dr. Hi Kyung Kim, American Fulbright
scholar grantee in Korea, who is Associate Professor of Music Composition
and Director of the Pacific Rim Music Festival at the University of
California, Santa Cruz.  Dr. Kim received her B.A. in Composition from Seoul
National University and her M.A. and Ph.D. from UC Berkeley.  As an American
Fulbright Scholar for 2002-03, she is teaching at Seoul National University
and conducting research at the National Center for Korean Traditional
Performing Arts. The evening will be a concert of her own compositions, two
of which are being premiered at this event.  Dr. Kim's music uses both
Korean and Western instruments, functioning as a bridge between the music of
Korea and the West.  The performers include American professional performers
from Ensemble Parallele and Korean traditional performers.  The performance
will be followed by a reception sponsored by Fulbright Korea.  We hope you
will all come and enjoy this special occasion.

Place: U-Myun Dang, at The National Center for Korean Traditional Performing
Arts
700 Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul
(Near the Seoul Arts Center, across from Arirang TV)
see maps on their website:  www.ncktpa.go.kr (click "English" and "contact
us")
or call for directions: 580-3333