[KS] History's twists: thoughts on kwago ch'ongsan and the MOPE syndrome

Jay Lewis Jay.Lewis at oriental-institute.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 9 11:52:22 EDT 2002

I'm rather sympathetic to two of Aidan's points: comparisons and a concern
with the future.  As a footnote to Prof. Tikhonov's wise and informative
post, I might add that the Korean Historical Association recently
collaborated (no pun intended) with the World History Association to hold a
joint conference at SNU.  The KHA was celebrating its 50th anniversary and
the WHA was holding its 11th annual conference.  I don't know, but I would
doubt that the event was a "shotgun wedding" dreamed up in recent months by
government image makers to fit the World Cup agenda, since negotiations over
bringing the WHA to Korea had been going on for about three years.  I
neglected to ask when and how the KHA became involved, but it may have been
only in the past year.  Many panels were bi-lingual (Korean and English);
there was simultaneous interpretation for all plenary sessions; and a number
of papers, panels, plenary addresses, and round-tables discussed the content
and direction of teaching on "world history."  At nearly all such sessions,
Korean teachers reported on the local scene.  (I might add that they were
greatly distressed by the recent watering down of world history in the
national curriculum.)  Naturally, there was not as much discussion as one
would have liked regarding Korean history in comparison with other
histories, but it may be part of the responsibility of historians living and
working outside of Korea to introduce comparisons, since we do have an
advantage in that regard.  Alas, I saw few foreign Korean historians there.
In general, there were occasional awkward moments when national historians
sat down with global systems theorists and comparative historians, and this
last was in evidence in the title of the conference: "Korea and the World in
History".  Nevertheless, I was extremely pleased to see such an influential
historical body in Korea embracing an organisation whose first premise is
anti-nationalist.  This can only bode well for the future.

The program can be seen at: http://www.history2002.or.kr

Jay Lewis