[KS] Gwageo cheongsan (Kwageon ch'eongsan)

Eugene Y. Park parkey at benfranklin.hnet.uci.edu
Mon Sep 9 17:15:59 EDT 2002

Dear Mr. Sparks,

I would like to caution you against lumping all historians/history
professors into those hailing from politically, economically well
endowed families.  Perhaps you pushed your point too hard here, or have
I (and I'm sure many others on this list) been talking to too many
academics from blue-collar backgrounds?

One can even argue that humanities professors in general, including
historians, are NOT such influential figures in South Korean politics
and society.  For one thing, I've sat through so many conversations with
non-historians and non-academics in South Korea who simply cannot
understand that historians are just as professional in what they do as
are attorneys, lawyers, doctors, and engineers, whose expertises they
don't seem as eager to challenge.  How often I have heard from many
South Korean parents while waiting to board an Asiana flight that, upon
their learning what I do, I chose an easy profession, since all I have
to do is to read a few history books and teach them IN KOREAN (of course
not true) to a bunch of Korean-speaking kyop¡¯o (again, not true) in the
U.S.!

Also, how much do you think the current, popular understandings of
Korean history--as represented in news paper and magazine articles,
school text books, period dramas, and ordinary people¡¯s
conversations--reflect the latest findings/insights of prefofessional
historians?  I can perceive a disturbing gap, and I¡¯d like to give
Prof. Yong-ho Ch¡¯oe a benefit of the doubt, since this is what I
thought his comments addressed among other things.

Moreover, again speaking of all these supposedly well-connected history
professors in South Korea, I urge you consider how likely it would be
for any history professors at the major universities to be even
considered for the currently vacant prime minister post, about which I
read in the South Korean dailies that the government is struggling to
find an
individual of good character who hasn¡¯t done all the wrong things.

Overall, the South Korean society continues to speak of a crisis in the
humanities, and this crisis is reflected in problems ranging from the
lower entrance score average to the widespread unemployment problem
among even the SNU Kuksahakkwa Ph.D.'s to the generally low stature of
history professors in South Korean politics, society, and
culture--certainly when compared to those in the social science.

All the same, though, I wholeheartedly agree with you on the point that
we must all be careful not to suggest that only the historians can write
history in isolation from the rest of the society.

Yours,
Gene Park

Jason Sparks wrote:

¡°Is there any compelling reason why those Koreans NOT politically or
economically
well-placed enough to be academics should be excluded from historical
discourse?¡±

¡°It always seemed curious that professors who traditionally benefit
from the
necessary family connections and social status that would be the
preconditions
for professorships in Korea, would be generating discourse that actively
and
exclusively looked beyond the very proximal issues of social class and
social
justice among Koreans, in an effort to raise student ideological ire at
much
more distal bogey men (Japan, USA) OUTSIDE Korean life.¡±

Eugene Y. Park
Assistant Professor of Korean History
Department of History
Krieger Hall Room 200